Search This Blog

Shadow in the Sea

Readers will return to Windwaithe Island once again. When sixteen-year-old Sadelyn Hanson washes up on the shores of Windwaithe Island, her beauty and the strange marks on her wrist make superstitious locals suspect she is a mermaid. Feigning amnesia, Sade hides a far worse secret: she was sailing to her own murder trial when she was thrown overboard by the real killer, the cunning and cruel Captain Westwood.

Sade's quiet effort to rebuild her life on the island is threatened when she meets an actual young merman. Unable to speak his language, Sade still longs for the warm companionship he offers, despite the locals' dire legends about merfolk and their dark magic. But her confused feelings for the impossible boy become the least of her problems when Captain Westwood's ship docks at Windwaithe. With nowhere to escape, Sade must trust in the one person who doesn't fear the merfolk. A woman who had dealings with them herself—years ago

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Samples of the Forbidden Sea Soundtrack

This post is especially for Alex over at Tales of a Teenage Book Lover who wanted me to put together a list of some of the songs I listened to while writing Forbidden Sea in order to create the right mood for the story.

SPOILER WARNING: There are some spoilers involved with the explanation of each song so just click the links and listen to the music by itself if you have not yet read the book.




A lot of the songs I listened to while writing Forbidden Sea came from the movie, The Time Machine. (Hated the movie, but LOVED the soundtrack.) Here are just a couple examples:

Eloi from The Time Machine soundtrack was the song I played as I wrote about Adrianne seeing the mercity for the first time. I felt it caught the magic and wonder of a new and alien world.

Click here to listen.

Godspeed from Time Machine soundtrack was the song I would often listened to while writing about Adrianne herself. I felt it captured the sweet sadness of her life and the hidden strength inside her.

Click here to listen.

I felt Reflections by Tim Janis spoke of Windwaithe's Island's endless ocean and untamed beauty.

Click here to listen.

The Promise by Tim Janis was how I pictured the moment when Adrianne enters into the great hall of the underwater palace.

Click here to listen.


Return to Innocence by Enigma was Jendayi's theme song. The irresistible call and primitive power fit her perfectly. You can even hear the whale if you listen closely.

Click here to listen.

Denn and Adrianne's theme song was Teardrops on my Guitar by Taylor Swift. Though it is a modern song, I felt it spoke of Adrianne's feelings for her dearest best friend perfectly. Replace the name Drew with Denn in your mind and you've got the idea.

Click here to listen.

This is only a small sample of some of the many songs I used. So now I'm curious. If you were to create a soundtrack for Forbidden Sea--what songs would you include?

2 comments:

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

I actually got goosebumps while listening and reading your explanations. Thank you so much for doing this!

Ki-o-TEE said...

'Godspeed' is one of my favorite songs. I just bought your book, it should be arriving to me next week! Then I'll have to hunt you down for an autograph, miss famous writer! ;)

--Court


(c) 2010 Sheila A. Nielson

Status Counter

Blog Archive

Disclaimer

The ideas and views expressed in this blog reflect only those of Sheila A. Nielson and no other persons, companies, or business entities.