Search This Blog

Shadow in the Sea

Readers will return to Windwaithe Island once again. When sixteen-year-old Sadelyn Hanson washes up on the shores of Windwaithe Island, her beauty and the strange marks on her wrist make superstitious locals suspect she is a mermaid. Feigning amnesia, Sade hides a far worse secret: she was sailing to her own murder trial when she was thrown overboard by the real killer, the cunning and cruel Captain Westwood.

Sade's quiet effort to rebuild her life on the island is threatened when she meets an actual young merman. Unable to speak his language, Sade still longs for the warm companionship he offers, despite the locals' dire legends about merfolk and their dark magic. But her confused feelings for the impossible boy become the least of her problems when Captain Westwood's ship docks at Windwaithe. With nowhere to escape, Sade must trust in the one person who doesn't fear the merfolk. A woman who had dealings with them herself—years ago

Saturday, June 5, 2010

I've Been a Busy Girl

Click on the pictures to get a closer look.








I finally finished the sculpture of the mermaid in my story.

First off, I have to say that she photographs funny because of her unusual skin color. The dark green skin looks a lot cooler in real life than it does in these photos and I can't figure out why. You can't see her makeup too well in these pictures. (The clay has a sort of shimmer to it that reflects the light weird, I think.)

Every one of those green braids was hand braided by myself. Each and every one has a gold bead attached to the end of it. It took me longer to do the hair than all the rest of her combine. You can't see it in the photo, but she has gorgeous variations of color threaded subtly through the braids.

She is currently on display at the Orem Public Library. If you live in the area, feel free to pop by and take a look in person.

You might have noticed that the way she looks doesn't exactly match the cover of the book. All I can say is, she looks the way I described her in the story. Authors don't get a say in what their book's cover looks like. They don't even get to talk to the artist. If you like the way the mermaid looks on the cover better, feel free to imagine her any way you want when reading the book.

I won't be the least bit offended. : )

4 comments:

Emily said...

You are crazy talented woman!!!

Raspberry said...

Love your sculptures, always have - hopefully I'll get a chance to go see it in person in July.
I love her hair and all those teeny tiny scales...that looks so incredibly time consuming!
And I was upset they wouldn't let you make your mermaid that color in the cover, but just so you know, I totally pictured her the right way. :)

Teresa Gashler said...

Beautiful! I will have to go take a peek :) I still treasure the mermaid necklace, by the way. I know it's going to be worth millions someday, but I won't sell it for anything. (Unless I'm starving, but you would understand, right?)

Sheila A. Nielson said...

If you are starving at any time Teresa, let me know and I'll make you another one for selling. :)


(c) 2010 Sheila A. Nielson

Status Counter

Disclaimer

The ideas and views expressed in this blog reflect only those of Sheila A. Nielson and no other persons, companies, or business entities.